WHY YOU NEED A COACH
I'm often asked the question: 'Why do I need a coach?'
My answer is simple: You don't have to go through the challenges of living your diplomatic life alone.
Life does not hand out prizes to those who have been the most self-sufficient. We all need the right people in our corners to help and support us as we go through life. Sometimes all you need is a different perspective to help you move past what's been troubling you or holding you back.
Perspective is what a good coach provides. But even the best coach does not understand what it's truly like to be a diplomat or to accompany a diplomat. Only someone who's lived this life, who's personally experienced the highs and the lows and knows - and has used - strategies to get you back to you can really help you quickly and effectively.
That someone is me.
As a coach for diplomats and those living the diplomatic life, it's my role to help get you out of your rut. I will challenge you to think of your life (at home, at work and within yourself) from another perspective. I will challenge the beliefs that you've formed about yourself and the world around you. I will challenge you to reevaluate the stories that you've turned into truths about yourself, who you are and how the world around you works.
I will help you reconnect to yourself - your authentic self - and to the world around you.
I invite you to read on and see if you feel that my 1-on-1 coaching services are for you. All you need to do for now is to read the words, watch the video and answer the questions at the bottom of this page honestly.
I look forward to having a
chat with you.
Photo: Inspired Portraits
If you haven't already, please spend a moment reading about me, my story and who I am here (will open in a new tab). You'll see that
I've been where you are now.
- I know what it's like to love what you do but resent it at the same time.
- I know what it's like to have a job that can dominate your life and
define how you perceive yourself.
- I know what it's like to live and work in an ultra-competitive and highly-visible bubble, where it feels that everything you say and do that's contrary to what you feel is expected of you could have serious repercussions on your career and reputation.
- I know what it's like to always be 'on' - having to keep on top of your work all the time and be ready to respond to political, social and/or economic developments at a moment's notice.
- I know what it's like to move every few years and what this does to ourselves, our families, our relationships and friendships and how it affects our perceptions of home.
- I know what it's like to be the accompanying spouse and how it can feel to be the '+1' and cede so much of your life for your significant other's job.
- I know what it's like to wrestle with your internal demons while desperately trying to keep it all together and be your country's representative.
I understand. I've been there. I AM there. But I know a way forward and want to help you move forward, too. I can help you to both be awesomely and humanly yourself AND be great at what you do for your country. I can help you.
WATCH THIS VIDEO
I have no doubt that you're great at your job. You're smart. You're intelligent. You've got amazing skills and experience that you work hard to bring to work and life every day.
Sure, there are some niggling issues in your life, but they're nothing that you can't handle by yourself, right? You're able to read my great blog and listen to my fantastic podcast. You think about my messages and recommendations and try to implement changes in your life.
Honestly, is it working for you? Really? Does just thinking about change ever change things?
No, it does not. We get better from receiving other perspectives, increasing our awareness and from being challenged. We get better from receiving and acting on feedback delivered kindly and honestly. We get better and move forward by thinking AND doing.
So what good would having a coach do? Please, make yourself a cup of something and watch this.
Imagine what having a coach who lives the diplomatic life
could do for you as you live your diplomatic life.
Video source: TED.com
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
I invite you now to sit down with a pen and paper and honestly answer these questions.
You must write down your answers. Thinking about them isn't enough. And your answers must be honest for you right now: not what you want it to be or think others want from you. The answers are only for you and whoever you trust and are to be used solely to get you thinking about where you need support in your life.
1. What are the five things that you love most about living your diplomatic life?
2. What are the five things that you hate about living your diplomatic life?
3. Which list was easiest to write?
4. How do others perceive you?
5. Do you find it hard to connect with people (build friendships/relationships) outside work?
6. Do you have anyone in your life who you know - without any doubt - will listen to you without judgement and call you on your bullshit?
7. Describe the nature of your internal self-talk.
8. When was the last time you felt connected (really seen and heard for who you are) with someone?
9. Do you avoid conflict? Do you feel the need to be the peacemaker?
10. Will you try something new or different if there's a chance that it may fail?
11. Do you withhold your thoughts and opinions if you think that someone more senior to you may not agree?
12. How connected do you feel to your authentic self? To your friends and family? To where you're living right now?
13. How comfortable are you saying no? Can you say no to people at work without worrying about the possible consequences or what they think of you?
14. Do you feel that your life has a good balance for you and your circumstances?
* * * * *
There's so much in these questions, isn't there?
If your answer to one or more of these questions troubles you, makes you reflect and want to change, you're not alone. I'm here to help.
Let's set up a FREE 15-minute strategy call to see how my coaching services can help you. We can then discuss what service would work best for you.